Eni’s Goliat has resumed its production
The giant oil field restarts after a shutdown lasting more than two months
Goliat, the oil field owned by Italian energy group Eni, has received permission to restart production. This oil field was shut last October to allow ENI to implement the necessary technical operations to reduce as much as possible the danger of ignition. The reasons of the shutdown are linked to the dysfunction of the electric “Ex motors” present in the oil field.
The Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA), the authority responsible for verifications ordered ENI to stop production on the oil field because of electrical safety issues. It also requested Eni to complete a systematic survey of potential ignition sources.
The Goliat is able to produce 100,000 barrels-per-day. Eni has the 65%, and Norway’s Statoil holds the remaining 35% stake in the world’s northernmost offshore oilfield. After this stop, Eni and Statoil met with PSA officials on December 6th to outline plans to bring the field back online.
PSA said: “On the basis of the information received from Eni and Statoil, together with its own verification and overall assessments, the PSA now regards the order as complied with. This means that the PSA has no objections to production resuming on Goliat.” Therefore production can be resumed since the company has addressed electrical safety issues at the field.
Goliat is located in production license 229, north of Russia and Norway and it is the first oil-producing field in the Barents Sea. Estimated to hold about 180 million barrels of oil, this field started production in March 2016 after several years of delays and 50% cost overruns. The Goliat oil field, has been developed through a floating cylindrical production and storage vessel (FPSO). The FPSO is designed to store nearly a million barrels of oil which will then be transferred to shore through tankers at a later stage. The firm has completed 17 production wells of the planned 22 wells, which include 12 oil producers, seven water injectors and three gas injectors.
Since U.S. President is spoiling the American relationship with its neighbour to the north, the Canadian oil industry’s biggest trade group is looking for ideas to reduce its dependence on...Read More
Oil companies Exxon and Equinor become partners at a field off the coast of Brazil thus generating a boost for Brazil’s economy, after weeks of political uncertainty. A consortium of Equinor,...Read More
Vitol, Glencore, and Shell are in the running to buy the Nigerian oil assets of Brazil’s state oil firm Petrobras The world’s three largest oil traders are competing to buy the...Read More
Maduro buys $440 million foreign oil and send it to Cuba on friendly credit terms while Venezuelans starve. Venezuela has been buying foreign crude to continue supplying political allies such as...Read More
Saudi Arabia’s efforts to revive economic growth are still dependent on oil prices, even as the kingdom tries to reduce its reliance on revenue from crude exports. Higher oil prices have...Read More
Become a partner
If you are interested in becoming a Dealoil partner please get in touch by emailing us at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you. The Dealoil team